How to pick out a Healthy Snack
For most of us snacking is a big part of our day. According to a recent survey most Americans snack throughout the day and roughly 24 percent of our daily calories come from those snacks. Most of the popular snack choices contain large amounts of sugar and salt, so it is not surprising that snacking leads to weight gain. This means it is important that you choose the right snacks and the right time to nibble during the day.
Research suggests that you should snack about 3-4 hours after eating depending on how hungry you are. If you are not hungry then do not have a snack. If you do get hungry than a choose a higher protein snack instead of a sugary and salty one to help shed those extra pounds.
Here are a few snacks to help peel off the pounds:
- Grass-fed protein bar (bison)
- Bison is a a leaner meat and a great alternative to beef jerky. It is lower in sugar, high in protein and provides fuel to aid in weight loss and increasing the metabolism and minimize hunger
- Organic Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds contain a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to zinc. They help to support the immune system, good source of omega-3- fatty acids, heart and liver health, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Avocados as we all know are a great source of good healthy fat. But did you also know that they are great for eye health, improving skin health, aid in digestion, help with weight management, and reduce inflammation in tissues, muscles, and joints.
- 1/2 cup raw Almonds
- Almonds help with lowering cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease. They also contain a high level of healthy unsaturated fatty acids and fiber to help with that feeling of being full.
- Celery with Humus
- This is a great healthy and filling snack. It aids in digestive health, healthy muscles, and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids.
Needing some extra help in shedding those few extra pounds?
Call Desert Health Specialists and get started on our natural weight-loss program.